6 months paternal leave has recently become a reality in many organizations.
Either (both) parent can now avail 6 months of leave in the months preceeding and upto 1 year after they begin a family.
This is a very welcome move. And has the potential to change our whole world.
The intention is to ensure that
1. Mothers feel supported and are able to manage their careers better
2. Fathers can experience the joy of raising a family
3. The child gets a better start on life because of the participation of both parents in caregiving.
I love these objectives.
And I believe that this can help parents to raise children who are so emotionally secure - that parenting them becomes a completely stress free journey.
But to make this happen - parents will need the right support.
Parents will need -
1. Prenatal classes to understand their babies and their needs and how to fulfill these needs without stress. So that there is no rift in the parent child relationship.
2. Infant care classes to understand how to go through weaning and sleep training etc. So that they do not create behavioural problems like picky eating.
Without the right tools - this period of staying home can create more stress than it allays.
I hope organizations will recognize this and offer this support in addition to the leave.
If you are availing parental leave soon - do reach out. I would love to introduce you to the prenatal and infant care support that I offer.
If you are part of an organization that is offering parental leave - do reach out - I would love to support your employees too.